Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Two Go Beer Mad in Melbourne. Day Five.


The last day. And we’d barely got started tasting all that Australia’s craft brewers have to offer. I’d bought a few bottles to take home with me to sample at a later date and then Wend wondered out loud if they’d explode being chucked around in my check-in luggage. A quick call to Air New Zealand revealed that bottled beer wrapped in clothes in luggage is ‘not advisable’. Bollocks.

So, as we had to check out of the hotel at 11am, the first ale of the day was cracked at 8am. Woot!


 #36 - Murray’s Punch and Judy Ale (Bottle) - 3.9%ABV
A lovely, light ‘breakfast’ ale. Teehee. Murray’s P&J is a light copper-coloured bitter with a big sudsy head. It’s bubbly and lively and a wee bit soapy on the nose- like an early morning shower. On the palate it’s malty up front with some nice fresh toastiness. The sweetness then politely gives way to a pleasant, long lasting bitterness. This was a really nice beer to start the day. I’d highly recommend it with some Eggs Benedict or French Toast. If I ever manage to get my hands on another bottle, I’ll do exactly that.


#37 - Murray’s Dark Knight Porter Style (Bottle) - 4.5%ABV

After Murray’s exceptional breakfast I quickly moved on to something a little darker. Dark Knight is a ruby black ale with a thin head and a nose that smells like chocolate covered raisins. It has a lovely, thick body with delicious burnt caramel notes and nicely balanced bitterness to finish. I almost fully agree with the back label except for the head. Lovely beer.





#38 - White Rabbit White Ale (Bottle)  - 4.5%ABV
A hazy, pale-straw wheat ale with just a touch of honey and clove on the nose. It’s very easy on the palate with a crisp apple, clean finish and a little lingering yeast to finish. Very refreshing. Another good brekkie beer actually.
 



#39 - Red Duck Limited Edition Red Admiral Celtic Ale (Bottle) - 6.2%ABV
An unfiltered semi-hazy red brown with a thin head, some berry aroma on the nose. There’s a stack of things going on taste-wise; bitter plum, pepperiness, toasted malt, caramel a touch of alcohol warmth, spices. Complex. A nice winter warmer with a dry-ish finish.


#40 - Red duck porter (Bottle) - 6.4%ABV
Espresso-coloured porter. Chocolate and coffee aroma with lots of sweetness. Full bodied and rich with bitter coffee finish, much like a chilled espresso. Bitterness fades quickly. Lively on the tongue. Great beer. I wish I’d written more notes about it.

Slightly wobbly, we checked out of our hotel and headed back into the city for a couple of quickies before we had to fly out.


#41 - Young and Jackson Naked Ale (Draught) - 4.9%ABV

Brewed exclusively for Y&J by local craft brewery Matilda Bay. Y&J’s house beer is a German style unfiltered wheat beer. It has a toffee apple aroma, with a slight tartness, lots of spices; cloves and cinnamon and a little bit of banana. It’s tangy and refreshing with a tart apple-like finish.

Red Fred on the left.



#42 - Bridge Road Red Fred (Draught) - 5.3%ABV 
By all forecasts, this was going to be my last pint of craft beer in Melbourne, so I thought I’d go for a fruity number…and I was a little surprised. Before I post my notes, here’s what they say about their own beer on the CraftyPint.com.au website

“A heap of crushed raspberries were added…it’s like taking a whiff of a fresh punnet. The raspberries' effect on the palate is more subtle, definitely there but not in the manner of a Lindemans Framboise, for example, instead adding a slight tartness to a drink that’s nothing if not refreshing.”

Sounds lovely. However, what I experienced was this…

A reddish, muddy brown coloured ale with a slightly hazy appearance. Sour apple on the nose and some nuttiness, slightly raisiny too - almost pickle-like. There is some woodiness with a tart dry finish, fruit vinegar. Sour, like a Flanders Red but not quite getting there…

Disappointing. Following my strict rule of "no good beer should go unfinished" we left the pint ½ full and wandered out the door to Federation Square. Not satisfied by my final craft ale, we slipped back into Beer Deluxe for one final pint.

#43 - Mountain Goat Organic Steam Ale (Bottle) - 4.5%ABV
Crystal-clear straw-coloured pale ale from Richmond Vic, just round the corner from where I was drinking. I would have loved to make it to the brewery (among others) but I'll do that on my next visit. This steam ale has a lively, citrusy nose and bitter mandarin and lemon on the palate. There’s also some resiny hop bitterness in there too which doesn’t hang around for too long. Ends dry. A really nicely balanced session ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment